Friday, December 3, 2010

Answers

Awhile back I had asked if anyone had any questions, I didn't forget to answer them, things just got busy. I am going to answer one of those questions, "What can someone do to lend their support to someone that is adopting and what has been very touching to you?" Brandon and I have talked a lot about how we have felt so overwhelmed with love. From our viewpoint, show support by just being positive about adoption. We don't ever mention really on our blog how many people tried to tell us all about the things that could go wrong. That was one of the most difficult things throughout this journey. Yes, it was hard to wait - but there would be days that we just felt so drained by what everyone was saying around us. I never actually realized that there were people out there that weren't for adoption - I understand now that that's not the case. Some people feel that no one should ever give their biological children up for adoption, no matter what! Mandy did this because she loved Lilly more than herself, it is the most unselfish act she will have ever done, giving Lilly what she couldn't.
Be supportive of people that are thinking about placing their children for adoption. We had a few nurses try to convince Mandy to keep the baby - what would have happened if we hadn't had such a great relationship with her? I tried not to think of how devastated I would have been if it all fell through, but it happens - and we don't need to be reminded that that could happen, trust me, it's on any adoptive parents mind the whole time. It's hard to pinpoint the most touching moment on our journey. All the little moments made for a wonderful experience. The moments when a little older lady at our church came up to us and gave us two $10 bills to help us out - to the package on our doorstep with a book and money in it - or when someone would just stop us to just say how excited they were for us. Just being a positive uplifting support is probably the most important part of helping someone along this journey.

1 comment:

  1. Hannah-I loved this post. I am so glad you are honest about your fears going in to it. I couldn't even imagine. I prayed and prayed for you. I have a few very close friends that cannot have children... it's my true belief that those who cannot have biological children will receive their children another way. Adoption is beautiful. It's about a precious gift coming into your arms by another vessel. It's true... it's about love. So glad Lillie has her mom and dad to love her every day. She is one lucky little gem! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete