Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Random Thoughts

We have been asked a lot lately about our "preferences" of a child. We don't care what the gender is - we wouldn't have a choice if we were pregnant & we just can't wait to have a baby! The one thing we are asked a lot more about though is the ethnicity. I don't want this to sound bad, but we would really like our first to be a mostly Caucasion baby. We feel that when we adopt our first, there will be a lot of questions about everything. I know it will be different, but it would be harder if it were totally a different race. After we have adopted our first, we have talked about adopting other nationalities. Personally, it would be fun to have a tan baby, than at least someone in our family will be able to look good in a swimsuit, and not like a mass of white!
We also wanted to express our gratitude to those that have shown us their support. I read through the comments that are posted here on our blog and on Facebook and I am filled with such joy. I keep re-reading them because they make me feel so uplifted. We feel like we are reconnecting with those that we love, friends & family. Brandon and I have been talking a lot recently about the overwhelming show of support we have received. We feel so blessed to have all of you in our lives.
It's interesting when we tell people that we are adopting. We have had such an array of responses, mostly all excited. We love talking about our adoption with anyone that will listen and we can't think of any reason why anyone wouldn't want to be supportive of this decision. This is such an emotionally exhausting time for us - then you add on top of that unsupportive people - it makes it difficult. Life doesn't always happen like you thought it would, but isn't that what makes it life? We know that this process will be hard, but we shouldn't shelter ourselves from something just because it can be hard - through all the hurt, we can have so much joy. We never thought we would be at this point, but it is the right decision for us and we couldn't be happier. I have never felt such overwhelming joy. We have been hearing that some aren't happy with our decision and even angry with us because of it - this breaks my heart to know what they are going to be missing out on - we are building our eternal family, we are doing what the Lord wants us to do and no one can take this joy away from us. I am not going to lie though, it is hard to hear what people say & we can't comprehend why anyone wouldn't just be thrilled - but we make the choice on how we are going to react, and we plan to continue to stay strong and love those around us - no matter what they do or say.

7 comments:

  1. AMEN!!! Isn't it such a great feeling knowing that you're being guided through this process? I can't imagine wandering into this without the knowledge that the Lord thinks this is a good thing for us. I'm so glad you also feel this way and can remember and rely on those feelings of comfort. Stay strong and know that you are supported in this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been thinking a lot about me since you guys have talked about adoption. ^_^ Thinking about what my parents went through to adopt me (it's a good choice to get a caucasian first I think S. Koreans are the most dramatic to adopt, free advice) ^_^ I think it's wonderful what you guys are doing. A great, wonderful, blessed decision! I hope to be there through it all! Anyone want cookies? $10 shipping! ^_* Adoption has always been close to my heart so to even be a part of what you guys are doing, how blessed I am!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's all I have to say 'bout that! Wow! :)...Okay, I lied...I am so glad that you feel the Lord guiding you. He loves you guys so much and wants you to be happy. Now that's all I'm gonna say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHO are these people who are telling you negative things? What?!?! That is just ridiculous. Insane! Stupid. Insensitive. Anyway. Still so thrilled for you guys and that the process is moving along. The baby's room looks great - what great colors you chose! And I so wish we lived in WA so we could swing by the garage sale. We will just contribute some other way, then. :) Keep on keepin' on - good things are coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY!!! We are so excited for you. I just saw your news on the ward website. We have had a couple of our close friends adopt and it has always been such a wonderful and amazing experience...and in every case, the story has been amazing as to how they got the baby. The baby you get will be SO LUCKY to have you as parents and it will be meant to be your baby and you were meant to be his/her Mom and Dad...he/she just goes a different route to get there. Let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do to help you. After Bunco night, Aaron and I were talking about how we need to do something with you guys. So one of these days we'll have to get together. Congratulations again! We are so excited for you.

    PS I LOVE the baby's room!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine anyone being angry about adopting. You are giving a child a loving family and home. What could be more beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just don't adopt a British baby. Choose some other nationality. A British baby will want bangers and mash and trifle and shepherd's pie and pasties and victorian sandwich.

    ReplyDelete