Friday, May 21, 2010

I don't even know where to begin...

I don't even know where to begin . . . Last week I talked with my mom and she told me about one of their friends whose daughter was pregnant and thinking about adoption. She wanted to talk with us and it just so happened (amazingly enough) that Brandon and I were driving down to California to spend a week with my parents - so I told my mom that I would love to meet her while we were down there. I was really excited to be able to talk with a birthmother and get to see her side of adoption and maybe help her in anyway I could - my whole thought going into it was that I just hoped someone was helping our birthmother and being her friend through this.

I met with her by myself on Tuesday, May 18th. We went for a drive and had a good chat. With everything, I try not to get my hopes up too much - but I felt so comfortable with her and it was hard not to. Even now I can't even think straight about how it happened - this amazing young woman asked if we would like to adopt her baby. Words can't even describe how I felt - just shocked, but excited! We had parked at a little parking lot overlooking the ocean and when I went to start the truck up again - it wouldn't start. Yup, the battery was dead. It was actually kind of funny and luckily she called a friend and he came and jumped our truck - phew! Calm under pressure? Check!
What's amazing is how you can love someone that you have just met. She is giving us a gift that we never would be able to have without her. She will be a part of our family forever, no matter what happens. She says that she felt from the beginning that this baby belonged to someone else, how amazing is that? I never thought I could feel so many emotions at one time. With adoption, it all comes down to the baby and what is best for them - in our case, we are looking forward to an open adoption and that just brings more family to love this child.

13 comments:

  1. HOW EXCITING!!!!! YAYAYAYAYAY!!!!! I'm so glad you get to be a mommy and daddy! When is she due? Such great news!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How Amazing Hannah! I'm so excited for you both!

    -Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. WAHOO!!! I'm so happy for you guys!!! This is such an amazing event! Please keep us all posted on the details of everything - we'd love to go through this with you guys! LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. amazing! Prayers are truly answered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic news! I am so happy for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AHH! That's so awesome!! I hope everything goes extremely smooth for you both! This was definitely a blessing just for you :)
    I'm sooo happy for you Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so amazing how the spirit works through people and how 'coincidences' can turn out to be some of Heavenly Father's most tender mercies to us. I hope this truly works out to be 'the one'; our prayers will be with all 3 of you future-parents.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing and brave and wonderful birth mother! What an amazing path you guys are on!!! i'm so excited for all four of you!!! your lives will never be the same again! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hannah and Brandon,
    My heart leapt for joy in the very first sentence and I almost started crying. I am so happy for you. Heavenly Father loves you and is with you. We will pray that everything moves smoothly for you!!!
    Love,
    Brandy
    (PS Someday we ARE going to make bread together. Almost everytime I make bread I think of you.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, I am so excited for you guys!! I hope everything goes well, keep us updated. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! We're so excited for you guys and for your sweet baby! You guys are going to be such great parents! We'd love to hear details as you go through your journey! Can't wait to talk to you more about it. We will keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so excited for you!!! It brought tears to my eyes as I read this. The Lord does answer our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hannah- How wonderful for the both of you! I am so excited for all you are about to experiance. You are the sweetest preson and will surely bless this little child with all you are. I'm so very happy for you! Thank you for keeping us all updated on everything!!-- much love!

    ReplyDelete